Saturday, August 22, 2009

24/7

So as I said before, I am working 7 days a week and barely have time to make art... I forget who said it, but it goes something like, "An artist is always making art, even when he is just looking." I feel this more than ever now that I never get to put brush to canvas. My mind is always creating. Escpecially after visiting galleries and museums. I'd like to share two of great interest.

First, my friends and I went to see the Francis Bacon show. Though I have never seen his work in person, it has always inspired me. Unfortunately, a good half of the show was a bit of a let down. His work was always about rawness--pure self--but I found his later work, his SoHo portraits particularly, to be very contrived. But they were still beautiful and bonds his work to me even more. One very egotistical reason I love his work is because it reminds me of my own. There is a certain point when creating that if you don't let well-enough alone, it gets mudded by doubts. I believe his later work is riddled with doubt. It seems like he felt a lot of pressure to finish his work; his early works were "sketches" and duplicates, they all served as explorations rather than final pieces. At this stage of his career it became less about art and more about the art world.
This exploration can be best seen in his Man in Blue Series. I hope you can visit The Met to see it, but i not, pick up a book to get quality reproducitons.


The second place of inspiration I'd like to share is the NY Studio Gallery. This is a small but strong gallery that works as a studio for a select group of artists. Its great to visit or even just walk by and see the artists at work. They all have different process' and scheduals but are all dedicated to their art. At the end of the summer they will have a show, here is the information for it:


Studio Show featuring Kate Burnet & Dan Woerner, Laura Clemente Castillejo, Sung Min Lee, Patsy McArthur, Elise Roedenbeck, Angela Voulgarelis Illgen & Holly Ann Brooks
July 2, 2009 through August 29, 2009
Reception: August 29 7-9p
154 Stanton st NY NY 10002
http://www.nystudiogallery.com/

Hope you can visit these places, and please let me know your eplaces of inspiration!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home